Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

03 ODP try outs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

03 ODP try outs

Post by Soccer27 on 8/20/2013, 12:56 pm

What did the parents/kids think about the ODP tryouts this past Sunday. 
Does anyone know how the selection works? 

I know my bb had a great time. It was an experience for him getting to meet new coaches and new kids from different teams. Even if he doesn't get pick he's getting extra 3hrs training a week and gets to play and meet new kids. Not too bad....

Soccer27
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: 03 ODP try outs

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 8/20/2013, 2:17 pm

My understanding is that they tryout two more Sundays before a final selection is made for the year. Try to make all three tryouts for the best evaluation of your BB. Upon selection all else will be revealed and you will begin the process of training, development, and ultimately team selection for qualification to the Arkansas camp.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by skillzski on 8/20/2013, 9:07 pm

BB had a ton of fun, except for the 1/2 kids at the end who took him out from behind after shooting the ball. Saw many different level of players, but great to watch of bunch of boys in orange kicking the ball around, playing 1v1 and some pretty quick small sided possession games.
skillzski
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by frequent flyer on 9/17/2013, 4:21 pm

skillzski wrote:BB had a ton of fun, except for the 1/2 kids at the end who took him out from behind after shooting the ball. Saw many different level of players, but great to watch of bunch of boys in orange kicking the ball around, playing 1v1 and some pretty quick small sided possession games.
Did you BB get accepted?
frequent flyer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by skillzski on 9/17/2013, 4:52 pm

Responses come this week sometime. We will see how they divvy it up between 02's and 03's, but BB felt very good about his showing and had fun. Missed the middle week due to Classic League on Sunday, and was hard to determine how and why the kids got mixed up the way they did the last week. So what you see is a lot of individuals trying to beat everyone one on one, versus combination passing, strategic passing, etc, also saw a good amount of long ball and crosses with no intention but hey, you gotta learn to play every which way in this game, especially NTX. I sure they will find the 6 teams of 16 that they are looking for and the reason why..
skillzski
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by skillzski on 9/17/2013, 5:03 pm

Just got the email - so he is one of the lucky 100. Sure he will be happy to get a few more practices in, and we will pay more money to the big NTX machine..
skillzski
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by frequent flyer on 9/17/2013, 5:30 pm

skillzski wrote:Just got the email - so he is one of the lucky 100. Sure he will be happy to get a few more practices in, and we will pay more money to the big NTX machine..
Congrats! how many tried out? I am thinking of having my BB try next year since tryouts won't be during qualifying weekend. I agree, it should be good to get extra practice and exposure to other coaches.
frequent flyer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by skillzski on 9/17/2013, 5:34 pm

On and off about 200 plus total. I would say between all the kids who made out to weeks 1,2,or 3. There were between 130- 150 a session. Good experience - from what I hear is that now they will set up Sunday practices and work the kids hard. So at the end if the day, the extra touches are well worth it.
skillzski
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 9/18/2013, 2:51 pm

skillzski wrote: So what you see is a lot of individuals trying to beat everyone one on one, versus combination passing, strategic passing, etc, also saw a good amount of long ball and crosses with no intention but hey, you gotta learn to play every which way in this game, especially NTX.
That last session pretty hard to watch.  I realize the intent (of the ODP staff) is just to let play and see what they do, but a lot of kids in full "tryout" mode.   Attempts to beat folks one on one was abnormal, usually it was one on two or one on three.  That's assuming there wasn't a 30 yard shot available.   Over and over, for 3 hours.

If that is what "independent and creative" soccer looks like, I'll take micromanaged joystick soccer every day.
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by odie1993 on 9/18/2013, 3:48 pm

Pretty sure they said the last session would be a skills session as well. If they call that skills, NTX ODP is in serious trouble. My BB played 5 different positions (forward, all 3 midfield positions and center D) during that 3 hour marathon of crap. It was brutal to watch especially when the goalies decided to have goalie wars on those short fields and punt it back and forth to each other.

No idea how they put the teams together or what rational they used to have kids playing with other kids. My BB had fun the last day because he was playing soccer but I can tell you I did not.

Why would you have 7 subs on each team? why not create more fields for more games to be going on? My BB had fun so I cannot call it a waste of money.
odie1993
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 9/18/2013, 4:28 pm

I think the main reason to have 7 subs (or however many) was because they had to scrimmage for 3 hours.  I don't know if it was chasing down all the turnovers or making all the runs where nobody would pass, but BB was asleep long before we got home.  

I did see the dueling punts on the 50 yard fields.  

I didn't really have a problem with ODP per se, they just wanted to watch kids scrimmage. One would assume at some point they will try to teach something to whatever kids they picked. Just surprised how quickly civilization breaks down, Lord of the Flies soccer is not really my cup of tea.   But then son gets frustrated at school because they won't play possession soccer at recess.
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by forward thinker on 9/18/2013, 4:34 pm

Sad part is that we signed our son up again for this year.  I think there is a lot of talent out on the field.  Maybe this year will be different.  Here's hoping cuz I already paid.  This year the 01's get two full kits and a backpack at least.  So that's nice.
forward thinker
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SDadX2 on 9/18/2013, 4:48 pm

epicgoodsport wrote:Sad part is that we signed our son up again for this year.  I think there is a lot of talent out on the field.  Maybe this year will be different.  Here's hoping cuz I already paid.  This year the 01's get two full kits and a backpack at least.  So that's nice.
Hate to burst your bubble, but I believe everyone gets the kits and backpack this year.

SDadX2
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum