Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Try out question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Try out question

Post by Playerman001 on 6/25/2013, 10:04 pm

If a coach after practice tells your son to keep coming to practice is week is that their way of telling them they made it on the team? Are coaches allowed to tell you if they are planning on signing your son on the team before July 1st?

Playerman001
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Try out question

Post by soccermom97b on 6/25/2013, 10:08 pm

Definitely not a guarantee. There are some that will keep you coming out until July 1. They are definitely allowed to tell you if interested or not. Ask questions if you aren't sure. If you don't get solid answers, you might have your answer
soccermom97b
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity on 6/25/2013, 10:10 pm

Listen to mom, she is giving you good advice.
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker on 6/25/2013, 10:17 pm

if the coach hasn't offered you spot already then more than likely you hes keeping you around until a player he likes better shows up if not you got the spot! if I were you time to move on! you will not be happy paying those outrageous fees and your son sitting the bench! don't settle for being on a top team but with the playing level and confidence of a rec kid alien
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeatlast on 6/25/2013, 11:14 pm

Playerman001 wrote:If a coach after practice tells your son to keep coming to practice is week is that their way of telling them they made it on the team? Are coaches allowed to tell you if they are planning on signing your son on the team before July 1st?

That's their way of telling you he hasn't made it on the team.  Coaches are allowed to tell you almost anything before or after July 1st. Twisted Evil

Freeatlast
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity on 6/25/2013, 11:18 pm

"Coaches are allowed...."

Understatement of the year!  cheers
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nearpost95 on 6/26/2013, 12:08 am

Agree with omega and mom...

A coach may also tell you to keep coming back to keep the numbers up at open practices to show demand for the spots. On July 1 he will either tell you "sorry" or sign you to a spot on the bench to provide scholarship money to someone else's BB.

If you don't have an indication by now, your BB obviously hasn't beaten out one of his top 14 players. If you can't at least get a 50% share of a spot on the field, find a team where your BB will play.

Talk to the coach but beware that he is in salesman mode for now.

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 on 6/26/2013, 7:11 am

All that coach has told you is that your son is good enough to come to more tryouts.

You need to give your son other options to choose from. If there's a conflict between a tryout for this team and another team your son might like, go visit with the other team.
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by forward thinker on 6/26/2013, 9:08 am

In my experience with my son, coaches have come to me and asked for my commitment. Have said your son has a spot if he wants it. As an 02 parent who's team blew up this year and we had to go searching, I wanted three options on the table for my son. And then rank them on how attractive they are. Those three were ever changing and it was very difficult for my son to go through. If a coach asks for your commitment, then give it if it's your son's best option and the one he likes and fits your budget. But a coach can ask for your commitment, then the uber player shows up and takes your son's spot anyway. So you need a fallback and you only get that if other coaches have seen your son. Hardest part is when you have two equal offers, deciding which way to go. Even if you give your commitment, you can still change your mind if you absolutely need to, though that's kind of dirty pool. I'd just let the coach know as soon as possible. It's always nice for the coach to have as many boys at practices to show how in demand their team is. If you're not getting buy signals, shop around.
forward thinker
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock on 6/26/2013, 9:14 am

Playerman001 wrote:If a coach after practice tells your son to keep coming to practice is week is that their way of telling them they made it on the team? Are coaches allowed to tell you if they are planning on signing your son on the team before July 1st?

I would be direct and ask the coach, "Are you going to offer him a spot on the team or not?" If he says yes or no you have your answer. If he backpedals, talks around your question without giving a yes or no, it is time to move on.

Rock
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by wembleys on 6/26/2013, 9:53 am

Hint – look at your boy during practice and ask yourself:

What position does he plays?
How many of this positions are needed in this team?
Is my boy playing (now) better than the other boy(s) playing the same position in this team? Is his first touch better? Is his passing more accurate? Is his speed better? Are his decisions the correct ones during a game?  
There may be your answer to the question of should I stay or should I go;  Keep in mind that moving to another “lower” team sometimes is the BEST thing you can do. Be positive and support your boy, NOT your “inner boy”. This is about him, NOT you… do not stay on a top (or lower) team where he does not belong.

[b]p.s. - If you did not like the answers, take him to the park and teach him, spend time with him at the fields!!!![/b]
wembleys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

judging BB talent - can be biased

Post by forward thinker on 6/26/2013, 10:19 am

I think it's difficult for most parents to know how their kid is doing against other talent in practices. Parent goggles on.
forward thinker
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateChop on 6/26/2013, 10:31 am

epicgoodsport wrote:I think it's difficult for most parents to know how their kid is doing against other talent in practices.  Parent goggles on.

Amen. Good days, bad days. New kids coming in that may not even be interested in staying with the team long term. Hard to gauge where the boy actually fits. I'm sure in some cases it's difficult to convince your boy to try more than one team as they like the boys, coach, etc.
KarateChop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock on 6/26/2013, 10:35 am

epicgoodsport wrote:I think it's difficult for most parents to know how their kid is doing against other talent in practices.  Parent goggles on.

Even w/o parent googles it is hard to know how the coach feels about your kid without asking directly. Your kid may be better than some at his position, but there may be other reasons the coach won't take your kid over the kid already on the team - manager's son, been on the team many years and works hard, parents pay and are not a problem, etc..

Rock
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gringo on 6/26/2013, 11:43 am

I do not mean to high jack the thread...but a slightly unrelated question to get input from the collective wisdom. My son tried out with a coach and is not getting a firm yes. Translated this means he is waiting for other players' confirmation. This is fine but his current coach wants him to sign on July 1st and my son is not too eager to do that. What happens if you do not sign up with anyone on 7/1 and look for options in July? Is it even possible? Do coaches add more players in July?

Gringo
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock on 6/26/2013, 11:47 am

Gringo wrote:I do not mean to high jack the thread...but a slightly unrelated question to get input from the collective wisdom. My son tried out with a coach and is not getting a firm yes. Translated this means he is waiting for other players' confirmation. This is fine but his current coach wants him to sign on July 1st and my son is not too eager to do that. What happens if you do not sign up with anyone on 7/1 and look for options in July? Is it even possible? Do coaches add more players in July?

There are usually options after July 1st. Some teams will not have filled all their spots, some may have a last minute defection, etc. However, your choices may be more limited after July 1. Of course with your son, if it is down to Team A with no offer and returning to Team B, he could wait until June 30 and ask Team A for a yes or no, if no sign with Team B. Or just wait it out and see what you can find after July 1...

Rock
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by wembleys on 6/26/2013, 11:48 am

Gringo wrote:I do not mean to high jack the thread...but a slightly unrelated question to get input from the collective wisdom. My son tried out with a coach and is not getting a firm yes. Translated this means he is waiting for other players' confirmation. This is fine but his current coach wants him to sign on July 1st and my son is not too eager to do that. What happens if you do not sign up with anyone on 7/1 and look for options in July? Is it even possible? Do coaches add more players in July?

Yes, you can add players all season long - as long as you have spots open. Max roster for 03's is 18 players.
wembleys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Statistics
We have 8598 registered users
The newest registered user is TXLFC47

Our users have posted a total of 117975 messages in 14519 subjects
Top posters