Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

03 guest player rules

View previous topic View next topic Go down

03 guest player rules

Post by soccerkidd2003 on 12/28/2012, 3:32 pm

Question.....

We just recently moved to Arlington area and were able to find a 03 boys academy team.
Pro's: close to our home, My sons likes the coach and gets along with everyone, and we seem to be winning most games we play.
Con's: team is unorganzied, most players do not show up to practice and we were just told that we are only doing 1 or 2 tournments this year due to the other players can not afford to play.

We were asked by another coach to be a "guest" player. My son was excited cause he can now play in more tournments, yet when I approached our coach to let him know, he said we cant do that. No contract was signed, we have been on the team since September and have been paying a monthly fee, but Im not sure as to why, if they aren't playing we can't get more practice.

I dont want to have to start searching for another team, or burn bridges and It took 2 months to find this team in our area....

Any suggestions???? Crying or Very sad

soccerkidd2003
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Re: 03 guest player rules

Post by bigtex75081 on 12/28/2012, 3:49 pm

As an '03 your son is still academy age and does not need permission to play elsewhere. Speaking to your current coach was a nice thing to do as a courtesy to him but that's the only value you've added through your request to him. If you want to play for someone else, just go and do it.

Now is the time to look around. Now is not the time to show loyalty unless you know, without a doubt, that this is the team your BB will play with for the upcoming year (at the least).

Is there a chance that you'll burn a bridge? Yes, but the writing on the wall seems pretty clear with this situation... Your current coach seems to believe that he's the only coach your son will ever need. If he refuses to let your BB guest play with another team while there's NOT a contract, just wait until after you've signed into a binding agreement this summer.
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 12/29/2012, 1:25 am

You haven't signed a contract which is a two-way street. You CAN go guest play, and the coach CAN tell you to not come back. That's the deal. He cannot stop you from guest playing with other teams. He can tell you to take a hike. If he tells you not to do it, and you go and do it, you may need to look for another team.

People can say that is unreasonable, but I don't think that is uncommon. My son is an '03, he guest plays occasionally (as do other kids at our club), but never for anybody who is the "direct local competition". I doubt his coach loves it, but we have a long track record of loyalty and the coach won't make a huge deal about it.

If you like this team, talk to the coach and tell him you'd like to play here but you don't think they are playing enough games or tourneys or whatever and that is all you are looking to do. He may still tell you not to do it, but at least you kind of know where you stand.
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 on 12/29/2012, 8:48 am

I do think there's a double-standard with stuff like this because no (reasonable) coach will banish the team’s keystone player this close to contract signing over a guest playing opportunity.

If your BB is one of the top players on your team's squad, your BB is probably pretty safe to guest play elsewhere without being exiled.

BUT...

If your BB is one of the team's less-advanced players, your coach may use this opportunity to move your BB out.

The irony is that if your BB isn't a top player, but wants to be, the experience of guest playing will help with that. Anytime a player can get more in-game experience, the better they'll become.

Last edited by bigtex75081 on 12/29/2012, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Oops)
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 12/29/2012, 9:42 am

People having differing financial situations, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around the "can't afford to play in tournaments" thing in the context of playing select in the Fall. Tournaments should be $25-30 a head. I can understand where $3000/yr for Select is a crazy number, but if some/most can't find an extra $80 a year for tourneys now it seems hard to be real optimistic about the future for those kids. And "most players don't come to practice" seems like kind of a big Con, does it not?

Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 on 12/29/2012, 10:31 am

Number13 wrote:People having differing financial situations, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around the "can't afford to play in tournaments" thing in the context of playing select in the Fall. Tournaments should be $25-30 a head. I can understand where $3000/yr for Select is a crazy number, but if some/most can't find an extra $80 a year for tourneys now it seems hard to be real optimistic about the future for those kids. And "most players don't come to practice" seems like kind of a big Con, does it not?
I agree. That $$$ sounds more like an excuse than a valid reason. The commitment issue with the other families though, that sounds like something to be seriously concerned about. Select is more expensive and more intensely-committed. Things don't get cheaper from here. Commitment levels don't get more relaxed from here.

Based on the original posters concerns... I'd be concerned about walking up to the field on contract signing day and only seeing 10 kids there.
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerkidd2003 on 12/29/2012, 1:23 pm

thanks for the much needed input! I have heard the same from other parents on the team that some kids have $150 soccer shoes but cant afford to pay any extra fees??

I guess some thinking to do!
soccerkidd2003
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12/29/2012, 4:38 pm

If i were you i would start guest playing like crazy, your team is not going to make, sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by PG-Boy on 12/29/2012, 11:54 pm

soccerkidd2003 wrote:Con's: ...most players do not show up to practice….
This is a red flag. When its time for signing contracts many of the kids that don't consistently show for practice will disappear. Its also an indication the coach doesn't have a firm grip on the team. i.e. the parents run the show, not the coach.

soccerkidd2003 wrote:Con's: team is unorganzied,….

Unorganized teams falter when they reach select age because the coach loses (1) his best players to other teams and (2) loses the committed parents that help keep the team together. Leaving the team with the less talented players and parents that are unwilling to invest the "extra" costs needed for tournaments and travel. If they are unwilling to pay for tournaments now, they won't want to pay the $2-3k annual select fees.
PG-Boy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by PG-Boy on 12/30/2012, 12:02 am

soccerisgood123 wrote:If i were you i would start guest playing like crazy...

100% agreed. The kid shouldn't be prevented from playing in extra tournaments as a guest player just because the rest of the team can't/won't pay for more tournaments. At this age, kids are rich with potential. They should sample different coaches, playing styles, team dynamics, etc.

The only advice is to avoid schedule conflicts with the current team.
PG-Boy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by tequilaz on 12/31/2012, 2:27 pm

The (pre-select)academy structure is meant to foster a player being able to tryout different clubs. This is the reason for no yearly contracts but instead a month to month agreement. Guest play as much as you can. Some coaches are possessive SOB's because of their own insecurities and limitations in teaching as well as coaching.

Once you go "select" and sign a yearly contract in July/August 2013, you won't be able to try other clubs except in the open registration period which is not very long.

tequilaz
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardhead on 1/1/2013, 3:33 pm

There's an 03 team in Mansfield. You can contact them on FB, search FC Dallas Mansfield West.

Hardhead
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerkidd2003 on 1/4/2013, 9:58 am

Hardhead wrote:There's an 03 team in Mansfield. You can contact them on FB, search FC Dallas Mansfield West.

Thank you, I may do that;)
soccerkidd2003
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerkidd2003 on 2/9/2013, 1:32 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips and advise!
soccerkidd2003
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum