Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!
Log in

I forgot my password

Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Go down

Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by soccermommy on 9/26/2017, 1:34 pm

We have several players on our team that are also playing football.  When those players have games the evening before or the morning before the game, I feel like there's a steep decline in performance, effecting the whole team of course.  Is it typical for players this age and in such a competitive league to play multiple sports? If so, is there an age where teams or coaches insist that players "make a choice"?

soccermommy
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Posts : 2
Join date : 2017-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by thebirdstheword on 9/26/2017, 2:04 pm

Just my two cents in this, so it probably will not apply to most, but depends on the BB and parents. Playing multiple sports at once with overlapping schedules is tough for both parties. However, at this age you could expect this.

If BB is talented enough to make U12 DA at one for the clubs, then multiple sport BB's are pretty much non existent. Some of the contracts require this but some are more lenient. By the time they make u14 DA, practice is 5 times a week with games on weekend so no multiple sport BBs. Not saying this is for everyone but my experience.

thebirdstheword
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 33
Join date : 2017-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by just-a-dad on 9/26/2017, 3:14 pm

at 10 years old they should be able to play multiple sports. would actually argue that is better for them. not too much stress placed on certain body parts. i.e. pitchers straining their elbows. don't think I remember getting tired till 40.

just-a-dad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 91
Join date : 2017-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by FCD07 Mom on 9/26/2017, 3:23 pm

just-a-dad wrote:at 10 years old they should be able to play multiple sports.   would actually argue that is better for them.  not too much stress placed on certain body parts.   i.e. pitchers straining their elbows.   don't think I remember getting tired till 40.  

I think that is true....but for every NFL or NBA player out there that played 3 sports through HS and the few that played 2 sports in College, there are 1000 European and South American Professional Soccer players that have only played soccer from ages 10 (or less)  and beyond....This is certainly true with most Brits, Germans, Spanish and Brazilian players...

FCD07 Mom
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 267
Join date : 2015-08-03
Location : Frisco, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by allen04 on 9/26/2017, 3:55 pm

Don't recall having seen fatigue really change how players have played but I do know several that develop over use injuries; especially Sever's.
avatar
allen04
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Posts : 699
Join date : 2010-04-15
Location : Allen, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by just-a-dad on 9/26/2017, 4:11 pm

Socceroo wrote:
just-a-dad wrote:at 10 years old they should be able to play multiple sports.   would actually argue that is better for them.  not too much stress placed on certain body parts.   i.e. pitchers straining their elbows.   don't think I remember getting tired till 40.  

I think that is true....but for every NFL or NBA player out there that played 3 sports through HS and the few that played 2 sports in College, there are 1000 European and South American Professional Soccer players that have only played soccer from ages 10 (or less)  and beyond....This is certainly true with most Brits, Germans, Spanish and Brazilian players...

there are a lot more avenues to play at higher levels in soccer in all other countries but ours. Soccer is way down the pecking order. our top athletes usually go to other sports, or at least try them for the opportunity to participate at higher levels. think basketball is picking up in popularity in Europe and S America. probably beneficial for young athletes to strengthen all muscle vs a specific muscle group (legs for soccer, arms for baseball, etc. )

just-a-dad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 91
Join date : 2017-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by Uncleof05AP on 9/26/2017, 4:15 pm

http://theconversation.com/making-young-children-give-everything-to-football-is-a-bad-idea-heres-why-61526

http://www.90min.com/posts/3746536-man-utd-using-circus-performers-and-parkour-runners-to-train-players-on-how-to-avoid-injury

http://changingthegameproject.com/what-about-the-single-sport-athlete-specialization-part-ii/

http://changingthegameproject.com/the-perils-of-single-sport-participation/

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 134
Join date : 2015-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by FCD07 Mom on 9/26/2017, 5:04 pm

Uncleof05AP wrote:http://theconversation.com/making-young-children-give-everything-to-football-is-a-bad-idea-heres-why-61526

http://www.90min.com/posts/3746536-man-utd-using-circus-performers-and-parkour-runners-to-train-players-on-how-to-avoid-injury

http://changingthegameproject.com/what-about-the-single-sport-athlete-specialization-part-ii/

http://changingthegameproject.com/the-perils-of-single-sport-participation/

Interesting post about Man U.

There is no question based on the evidence that there is a slight chance of avoiding certain injuries when being a multi sport kid.... But the fact still remains that the vast majority of the "rest of the world's" kids, only play soccer....from day 1....and the injury doesn't seem to be an issue....

FCD07 Mom
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 267
Join date : 2015-08-03
Location : Frisco, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by scottallison1 on 9/26/2017, 8:14 pm

For me more variety of sports is great, however you need to consider fatigue and recovery, which unfortunately does not get considered in NTX much.

Especially the case when High School sports come into play in Freshman year and combine with club sports. My son was training 3 times per day sometimes, and most days per week, with games too on weekends.

Now in Sophmore year and his body has adapted / more muscle mass, but that freshmen year was really tough for him.

scottallison1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 34
Join date : 2013-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by FCD07 Mom on 9/27/2017, 6:31 pm

scottallison1 wrote:For me more variety of sports is great, however you need to consider fatigue and recovery, which unfortunately does not get considered in NTX much.

Especially the case when High School sports come into play in Freshman year and combine with club sports.  My son was training 3 times per day sometimes, and most days per week, with games too on weekends.

Now in Sophmore year and his body has adapted / more muscle mass, but that freshmen year was really tough for him.

Good point. My older son (now in College) played 3 sports during HS including his club sport. BY his Junior year, he had enough....It was just too much training.

FCD07 Mom
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Posts : 267
Join date : 2015-08-03
Location : Frisco, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Do multiple sports affect player performance?

Post by MurderWasTheCase on 9/27/2017, 10:10 pm

Someone should conduct a study of former athletes between the ages of 25-40 with injuries/surgeries related to sports. Perhaps that data would correlate to something meaningful.

MurderWasTheCase
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Posts : 45
Join date : 2017-08-25

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum