Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Coaches Need to Joystick More

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coaches Need to Joystick More

Post by Uncleof05AP on 9/9/2017, 4:43 pm

So, after a long night of drinking the nectar of the gods - Busch Beer, I wake up and head to the field to see Billy Bob play.  I arrive early, and I hear this coach two fields over hollering to his players, "switch, switch," "dribble, dribble," "pass to Tim,"  "run five yards and make a left."  Immediately, I was jealous.  I wish Billy Bob's coach would do the same.  Billy Bob needs to stop thinking for himself and stop trying to solve his own problems on the field.   There is no need to do that if a coach can do it for him.  He keeps thinking that it is important to long term development, but I have told him so many times that winning today takes priority over development.  I realize that there are numerous articles by so-called "experts" that argue otherwise but those guys are idiots.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: Coaches Need to Joystick More

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 9/10/2017, 6:46 am

I think it depends on Billy Bob's age and if Billy is learning a new formation and positioning. I notice that many teams in the u13 and up category are not exactly sure how to play position and that is not so good if they aren't playmakers. Playmakers need to understand positioning too even though they have to be creative.

Not understanding the game is a far greater issue than being skilled on the ball and most if not all BB's have ball skill in D1 Classic.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleof05AP on 9/10/2017, 11:19 am

Billy Bob has no affiliation with the team.   Thus, I do not know the situation, but I would argue that "joysticking" during a game is never appropriate. (In my opinion, there is a difference between joysticking and giving occasional instructions.)  It is counterproductive, confuses the players, takes the fun out of the game, and usually results in what appears to be conflicting instructions over the entirety of the game.  Screaming to a kid to "switch," "dribble," or "pass" is useless if you do not explain the reasoning for your instruction, and in general, that is not possible during the the play of a game.   Now, if you are tweaking players positioning and explaining to them why, that is a different story.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MurderWasTheCase on 9/10/2017, 11:46 am

This was our coach yesterday, embarrassing to the say the least for the parents, club, and the sport. Good this we were winning as I would hate to see what happens in a losing situation.

My kid after the game was more confused by his shouting than anything positive he was expecting to achieve. The team is better off with him somewhat calm on the sideline as every instruction you could see the kids hesitate and doubt themselves.

MurderWasTheCase
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 9/10/2017, 11:55 am

Uncleof05AP wrote:Billy Bob has no affiliation with the team.   Thus, I do not know the situation, but I would argue that "joysticking" during a game is never appropriate. (In my opinion, there is a difference between joysticking and giving occasional instructions.)  It is counterproductive, confuses the players, takes the fun out of the game, and usually results in what appears to be conflicting instructions over the entirety of the game.  Screaming to a kid to "switch," "dribble," or "pass" is useless if you do not explain the reasoning for your instruction, and in general, that is not possible during the the play of a game.   Now, if you are tweaking players positioning and explaining to them why, that is a different story.

PLF agrees that joysticking during an actual game is not beneficial and shows a complete lack of confidence in the training process. Most coaching during a game comes in the form of a chalk talk before kickoff and then again at the half with a summary at the end of game that coincides with the next week's training plan.

As for your other remarks it's painful to think that some coaches are not teaching the game because BB's who don't understand formation and have no knowledge regarding positioning will never gain the benefits of a formation. COACHES who don't teach basics prolly don't teach strategy either and that is the most important part of developing their soccer IQ.

All BB's should know the four pillars, formation, and strategy and ALL of this information is the sole responsibility of the coaching staff.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleof05AP on 9/10/2017, 12:17 pm

I agree 100%.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Riquelme Rises on 9/10/2017, 2:13 pm

More experts on Soccer....got to love this forum
Riquelme Rises
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 9/10/2017, 5:47 pm

FIFA Coaching License with a grade 7D US Soccer Referee Badge and a love for the beautiful game.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Riquelme Rises on 9/10/2017, 6:22 pm

PremierLeagueFan wrote:FIFA Coaching License with a grade 7D US Soccer Referee Badge and a love for the beautiful game.

Yeah sure
Riquelme Rises
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 9/10/2017, 7:34 pm

Riquelme Rises wrote:
PremierLeagueFan wrote:FIFA Coaching License with a grade 7D US Soccer Referee Badge and a love for the beautiful game.

Yeah sure

Wouldn't say it, if I didn't  mean it.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 on 9/11/2017, 8:20 am

You all are paying these coaches to coach and now you're complaining because they're doing what you're paying them to do?  Make up your minds.  If you didn't want a coach to coach your kids, why did you sign the contract?

I am sure Billy Bob is already a tactical genius in soccer but what about the other boys on the roster?  Do they potentially need guidance from the professional coach?

I agree with PremierLeagueFan.  A coach needs to adapt to the roster that he has:  
> A young team... with new players... implementing a new formation... early in the soccer year... THAT COACH BETTER BE VOCAL, GUIDE, AND LEAD.
> A mature team... with advanced players... that have been together for a couple years... in a system they know well... later in the soccer year... THAT COACH SHOULD LET HIS KIDS SOLVE THEIR OWN CHALLENGES.

Be smart.  Don't just regurgitate what you've seen written here on this forum by someone else.  Some teams need more guidance than others and it's on the coach to determine the needs of that team.

Most coaches realize it's too soon to give up on a kid.  Even if they want to dump a kid, most coaches realize still that there’s another 9 months left on these contracts.  So… If your kid is confused, ask the coach before the next practice for clarifications.  Don't just get into your car and whine.  If your son is getting A LOT more coaching than the others on the roster... You need to make sure that your son is taking all that input and using it to improve immediately.  If he isn't taking that feedback and using it, he's going to be anchored to the bench before the end of the year.

Last edited by bigtex75081 on 9/11/2017, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Riquelme Rises on 9/11/2017, 9:11 am

BigTex strikes again.....well said!
Riquelme Rises
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down