Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

My experience with finding a team for my 05 son in Dallas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My experience with finding a team for my 05 son in Dallas

Post by malwee on 6/18/2017, 10:53 pm

We were in Dallas to try-out with a few clubs last week. We are moving to Frisco area from Boston MA in late July 2017. Got a lot of inputs from this forum. I reached out to FC Dallas, Solar , Texans , Liverpool , Dallas Kicks, FC USA. We were not able to try out with Dallas Kicks, FC Dallas and FC USA because we did not have the time and the dates/time did not work. Special thanks to Dallas Kicks manager and FCUSA who reached out immediately after I called them. All the clubs were very quick in getting back and providing the info necessary. All the coaches I interacted with were very cordial.

I was more attracted to Solar and Texans because of their D1 status.
FC Dallas hinted to me that their roster was full and will only consider my son if he was a superstar.

My son is not a superstar. He is small but can easily take on players twice his size. He is quick, smart and an intelligent player that does not have the moves to show well in try-outs.  

Solar had about 50 kids practice at the same time when we tried out. At the end of the session the coach said my son had some great touches and wanted us to go back to their next session and were reminded that my son was short/small built and that they were looking at 2 other kids and will decide after the next session. We did not go back to the next session.

Texans invited my son to warm up with their teams during a weekend tournament. After the warm-ups the coach said he could see that my son reads the game well and he is a good thinker. He was not sure if he wanted to keep his roster at 16 or go to 17 and that he will refer me to another coach.

Liverpool ( d2 team) were the first team we tried out with . We went straight from the airport to the fields to practice with them. The manager and the coach were very inviting and the players wished my son the best when we were leaving. The coach said he was very interested in my son and that he will be a good fit for their team. I asked the coach what he liked and he said that there was an instant connect with the other players and it looked as if he was playing with the team for a while.

I had the option to chase a D1 team by going back to Dallas for another week. I asked my son what he wanted to do and he said he will play for Liverpool and said it will be better to play for a coach that does not care about the size of the players.

The top teams have their rosters full and are looking for someone special and that can show well. Size seems to matter.

Hoping for a fantastic 2017-2018 season. Thanks to all that provided inputs and suggestions.

Last edited by malwee on 6/18/2017, 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling/grammer)

malwee
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Re: My experience with finding a team for my 05 son in Dallas

Post by soccer4fun on 6/19/2017, 1:17 am

insightful and helpful, thank you for sharing this. Also welcome to the area and hope it all works out well for you and your son.
soccer4fun
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 04Soccerdad on 6/19/2017, 7:58 am

Thanks for sharing. I know it's difficult to find a team when you are not here. Learning the landscape is also takes time as well. I'm glad you were able to find a team that appears to be a good fit for your son. I would be curious to hear how things are going after the fall season.

04Soccerdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by melabrew on 6/19/2017, 8:04 am

We've had a similar experience with our son and actually also found Liverpool to be the most welcoming. They seems to look at the total package - is the kid a good player, has good sportsmanship, the IQ, fits in well with the team, are the parents normal... It's interesting how some of these teams are all holding out for a "super star" vs. a kid that fits it well with the team. A little cut throat, but I guess all is fair in love and soccer. lol

melabrew
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum