Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

What do we pay coaches/clubs so much money for?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What do we pay coaches/clubs so much money for?

Post by Mr. PK on 6/14/2017, 11:00 am

Given the amount of time I've seen my son's and daughter's coaches put in over the past 16 seasons, and doing some quick math to get an hourly rate, I'd have to say in most cases the salary has been justifiable.

Better question: Why do we pay so much to the clubs? Having been with 6 between the two kids (DT, LFCA, Tejanos, Tornados/AE, Solar), I have yet to see ANY value offered from ANY of them.

Do they get you practice fields (and not just a 20x40 space)? Sometimes. Practice fields with lights? maybe

Does the team name do you any good? Not really. If the team is good enough, you'll get into any tournament you enter, anywhere in the country.

Do they provide intra-club player mobility? No. 95% of mobility is a function of parent/player dissatisfaction with current situation and taking it upon themselves to look for a better coach.

Do they help you get better uniforms? Now that's hilarious. The brand or color doesn't matter and the fact is they usually cost you much more for average quality and stuff you really don't need (i.e. the ridiculous 'pre game' shirt). Why, because they get a kick-back from Nike, Adidas, etc. for sponsoring the club and the bulk order. Plenty of attractive, quality gear out there without either of those logos (or having to go through their ordering system).

My advice to parents of players coming of club age over the last 10+ years: 1) Pick a coach that will help your child develop and that you and the other parents can work with (he's your employee). 2) Pick a team with parents you can live with...literally. You'll be spending a ton of time with them, and one or two idiots will ruin it for everyone. 3) Re-evaluate both #1 and #2 every two years.

Mr. PK
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenal1984 on 6/14/2017, 1:19 pm

finish1 wrote:RQR, yep I paid some along the way but usually paid less than full price. I didn't have the time/desire to get my license for older kids and spent my entire 25 years coaching U10 and below: Touch, shape and technical skills.

Uncle05, Preston P was a masterful recruiter and surrounded his bb with the best kids at any given age group (dad coach). The clown kids were never a part of the equation. I guess the irony is that PP passed on my bb, but it was ok because I didn't need him anyway. We had different priorities.

The biggest problem I see with coaches around here is they seem to pigeon hole the kids too soon and that always frustrated me. The kids need to move around a lot below U16 and play as many positions as possible. Mine have played keeper, defense, midfield and forward.

IMO, a player can only truly develop if they are put into positions on the field that encourages growth and understanding of the game, all the way up to U16, when the game really starts to matter. Below that age group, we should be chasing development, not titles where kids only play one spot.

100% spot-on Finish1!!!  Besides trying to assemble the greatest collection of athletic specimens at 9, 10, 11, and 12 years old, "some" Coaches tend to pigeon-hole players if they do not physically develop as quickly as their peers.

I am also a firm believer in understanding how to play the GAME and not a singular position.  The more you understand the game, the easier you make it on your teammates, because you know the challenges presented in that said position.  I'm not criticizing anyone who has their child as a full-time GK, outside back, center forward, etc....  at 10 or 11, but in my "opinion", I think it would help them grow as a player to spend some of their younger/more formative years experiencing different spots instead of singling in one a specific skill-set in one position ..... that's only my opinion though and I do understand the other side of the coin on this issue as well.

Arsenal1984
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket on 6/15/2017, 9:44 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
allen04 wrote:Its kind of funny, at least to me anyway, while I admit paying 3k for soccer is a big deal; I can rationalize it and when I break it down for coaches time/effort, fields, admin, league fees...whatever, I don't really have a problem with it.

BUT uniforms on the other hand; $300+?  I don't care if his blue game jersey is a "" jersey.  I don't care if they have matching backpacks; my son has four freaking Adidas backpacks and the newest one sucks, the ball section had to have been made with a size 3 ball in mind because the 5 you practically have to stand on it to get in the damn pouch.  I don't need to buy another pink jersey for the 1 home game in October that my son will wear it (unless like 2015 they all get rained out).  Patches?  Don't need no stinking patches.

Uniforms.  Uniforms get me every single time.
HATE the pink jerseys!  My son hates wearing them.  When he has to wear them, we're stuck discussing why AN 11 YEAR OLD BOY (!!!) should care about breast cancer awareness???

"Hey son.  I know you're mentally preparing for a soccer game but let's talk about this shirt you keep complaining about.  Let's talk about lumps forming in adult women's breasts."  Yeah... great.

If my son and my family are going to support a cause, I want it to mean something to him.  He needs to take ownership for something he cares about.  He needs to understand the point.  I want him to care about the issue he's making a stand against.  I don't want him to simply go through the motions because he's been commanded to.  He has no ownership in this cause for breast cancer awareness.  He doesn't care about it or understand it.  He simply sees it as a punishment that his coach requires him to wear bright pink for a few soccer games.  

He won't even keep it in his bag as a backup shirt.  He complains and complains.  That's how much he hates it.  Is that the goal for the people that require us to buy that pink shirt?

Maybe next year, you can take your son to a cancer ward for an afternoon. Perhaps it will have more meaning for him. Or ask around and there may be somebody you know who has been affected by someone with breast cancer and he can talk with them about it. Dear Abby would agree with these suggestions.

earbucket
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 on 6/15/2017, 4:47 pm

earbucket wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
allen04 wrote:Its kind of funny, at least to me anyway, while I admit paying 3k for soccer is a big deal; I can rationalize it and when I break it down for coaches time/effort, fields, admin, league fees...whatever, I don't really have a problem with it.

BUT uniforms on the other hand; $300+?  I don't care if his blue game jersey is a "" jersey.  I don't care if they have matching backpacks; my son has four freaking Adidas backpacks and the newest one sucks, the ball section had to have been made with a size 3 ball in mind because the 5 you practically have to stand on it to get in the damn pouch.  I don't need to buy another pink jersey for the 1 home game in October that my son will wear it (unless like 2015 they all get rained out).  Patches?  Don't need no stinking patches.

Uniforms.  Uniforms get me every single time.
HATE the pink jerseys!  My son hates wearing them.  When he has to wear them, we're stuck discussing why AN 11 YEAR OLD BOY (!!!) should care about breast cancer awareness???

"Hey son.  I know you're mentally preparing for a soccer game but let's talk about this shirt you keep complaining about.  Let's talk about lumps forming in adult women's breasts."  Yeah... great.

If my son and my family are going to support a cause, I want it to mean something to him.  He needs to take ownership for something he cares about.  He needs to understand the point.  I want him to care about the issue he's making a stand against.  I don't want him to simply go through the motions because he's been commanded to.  He has no ownership in this cause for breast cancer awareness.  He doesn't care about it or understand it.  He simply sees it as a punishment that his coach requires him to wear bright pink for a few soccer games.  

He won't even keep it in his bag as a backup shirt.  He complains and complains.  That's how much he hates it.  Is that the goal for the people that require us to buy that pink shirt?

Maybe next year, you can take your son to a cancer ward for an afternoon.  Perhaps it will have more meaning for him.  Or ask around and there may be somebody you know who has been affected by someone with breast cancer and he can talk with them about it.   Dear Abby would agree with these suggestions.
So instead of allowing my son to pick his own cause, to find something that matters to him personally and then allowing him to become a champion there... I should instead push this one on him?  You're saying I should compel him to care about breast cancer?  

Thanks for the really great parenting advice!

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by TayJ6 on 6/15/2017, 7:01 pm

It's even more fun to explain why the US National Teams are wearing rainbow numbers...

TayJ6
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketpop on 6/16/2017, 8:46 am

We don't go full on pink jersey, we do small pink ribbon stickers on our sleeves. We have several moms that are breast cancer survivors so it means something to our team.

rocketpop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TayJ6 on 6/16/2017, 3:13 pm

I see both sides of this. My son will not wear a pink shirt (anymore). But he will wear a pink jersey with his team without complaining.  I think that it is important for me as a parent to help him understand that there are causes that merit support, explain to him that this is a cause that the club or team has chosen to support.  I don't think that most 9 year olds are going to be able to make their own decision on what cause merits their support unless they have been personally affected by it. For us, my mother and her mother are both breast cancer survivors.  My father has survived pancreatic cancer and prostate cancer. My children are very aware of how serious this was for their grandparents even though they don't fully comprehend cancer, much less the difference between the types.

Bigtex, maybe you should try and help your son pick his own cause to support in his own way. Maybe if he finds something that he feels strongly enough about to actively support, he will better understand how important this cause is to the others. And then understand that he is supporting his team and their cause when he wears the jersey because it is that important to them.

Breast cancer is the culturally popular cause to support.  It's easy to think everyone wears the pink jerseys because it's cool to support breast cancer and wear pink. Our teams don't wear purple jerseys for pancreatic cancer or light blue jerseys for prostate cancer, but my younger kids proudly tell their Grandpa that they wore a pink jersey for him in their game.

TayJ6
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum