Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

cost of select

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cost of select

Post by ivsito on 5/23/2017, 5:18 pm

Why is soccer so much here? I moved here from New Mexico and the top best team was 900 a year there. why are even average teams here 3+ k???? i know soccer, I even played in Europe and highest youth levels here in the usa npsl, odp, the like but my parents never paid this!!!!... i just think this is crazy for us parents who cant afford that much for our kids to play, this pay to play system is horrible for kids! just my 2cents. am i crazy or do other people agree?

ivsito
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Re: cost of select

Post by Sprint on 5/23/2017, 5:32 pm

Your not crazy and it does seem high but it is what the market will allow. If people stopped signing kids up at that price the clubs would have to adjust. There is a ton of money in youth sports in general in the metroplex. 3k for club teams, $40 an hour for skills training, high league fees, sports agility camps for $300, position camps for $250 a week, and the list goes on. It's not just soccer but all youth sports.

On the other side, the coaches at clubs need to be paid if you want them to coach your kid. If they don't have a job outside the club and it is their main source of income, I don't expect them to do it for free. they spend every weekend, most holidays and most nights a week at a soccer field. No way I would do that for free unless my kid was on the team and that is called REC soccer. I don't think pay to play will ever go away because there has to be money to pay the bills. Either you pay or you can play REC. If lucky you can get on a team that has reduced fees ( likely a DA team or your kid is scholar shipped).

The metroplex does seem to be more than other areas of the country but hey, we have cheap housing. Smile

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ivsito on 5/23/2017, 5:45 pm

i see your point, as a former coach in nm, with semi pro experience, i coached for free because of my kids and i just wanted to help.... but even if i charged the highest pay was 5k a year for the best coaches in new mexico. coaching had to be a past time. But i would understand if you had the best coach possible and that included 4-5 nights a week of year round practice. id pay 3 k or more for that, but 3 k for a plano/Arlington or classic team that only practices 2 times a week seems crazy. If they trained 4 times a week i would think its fare. Good point on the housing Smile

ivsito
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccermommytoku on 5/30/2017, 11:36 pm

Ivsito
What age is your child? We are an independent 00 team looking for players! Our fees are $990 a year and includes tournaments. We will play competitive in Plano and Arlington . We believe like you that it's not worth paying the $3000!

If you're interested in more info hit me up!!
8179033619-Jen

Soccermommytoku
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by TayJ6 on 5/31/2017, 8:27 am

There are cheaper options out there. But, yes the big clubs are in the $3k+ range. Our big diverse soccer market allows for these high prices, but it also provides for many lower cost options. I have seen as cheap as $500-600 including tournaments playing in PPL.

TayJ6
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 on 5/31/2017, 9:17 am

The cost of select soccer is driven by the parents and has been for some time. Select soccer in Dallas started 30 years ago when a group of parents wanted a more competitive team for their "elite" kids and were willing to pay a professional coach (Kevin Smith, I think???) to run it. As more parents became aware of this arrangement, and the market at the time had few exceptional coaches to sustain demand, the prices went up and up and up. It was a simple case of supply and demand.

The competitive parents in this market wanted elite soccer for their kids and were willing to pay increasingly higher prices to get it. Don't blame the coaches or the clubs...

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Nice Ball on 5/31/2017, 10:02 am

I blame all the above.

Nice Ball
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 04Soccerdad on 5/31/2017, 10:42 am

Kevin Smith?

04Soccerdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bboys on 5/31/2017, 10:45 am

The pay high fees to play in the metroplex is turning youth soccer into a sport for the Elite. There was a time when this was reserved for Golf, maybe Tennis. There are many kids in this area that are really good to great players that never get that coaching or development because of cost to the family. It's really sad, considering that you will pay more in 10 years of club soccer than you will every get in return for a college scholarship. This is the big reason that the US cannot compete with the rest of the world in soccer. We have to turn everything into big business, its not about the kids or love of the game. It's about coaches that have figured out they can make big money coaching and avoid a real job and the big clubs that have also turned soccer into mini empires.

Bboys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Riquelme Rises on 5/31/2017, 12:44 pm

Bboys wrote:The pay high fees to play in the metroplex is turning youth soccer into a sport for the Elite.  There was a time when this was reserved for Golf, maybe Tennis.  There are many kids in this area that are really good to great players that never get that coaching or development because of cost to the family.  It's really sad, considering that you will pay more in 10 years of club soccer than you will every get in return for a college scholarship.  This is the big reason that the US cannot compete with the rest of the world in soccer.  We have to turn everything into big business, its not about the kids or love of the game.  It's about coaches that have figured out they can make big money coaching and avoid a real job and the big clubs that have also turned soccer into mini empires.

RIGHT ON BUD!!! Exactly right!!
cheers
Riquelme Rises
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 on 5/31/2017, 1:13 pm

There are lower-cost options in this market (and that's not limited to the mainstream "Select Soccer" route) but the onus of determining the BB's developmental path falls entirely on the parents in those situations.  You need to know what you're doing.  There are more pitfalls along that path than in the mainstream.  The path-less-traveled is hard to recommend to "novice soccer" parents that don't know much about all their viable options. Parents have to work much harder on this path.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne on 5/31/2017, 1:34 pm

Bboys wrote:The pay high fees to play in the metroplex is turning youth soccer into a sport for the Elite.  There was a time when this was reserved for Golf, maybe Tennis.  There are many kids in this area that are really good to great players that never get that coaching or development because of cost to the family.  It's really sad, considering that you will pay more in 10 years of club soccer than you will every get in return for a college scholarship.  This is the big reason that the US cannot compete with the rest of the world in soccer.  We have to turn everything into big business, its not about the kids or love of the game.  It's about coaches that have figured out they can make big money coaching and avoid a real job and the big clubs that have also turned soccer into mini empires.

Yep.
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazza on 5/31/2017, 1:54 pm

Big Tex- not a bad guess. However Select soccer and paid coaching was in N Tx more than a decade before Smudger knew where Dallas was. Not going to promise I'm sure who was the first but many around at that time were Dallas Tornado players.

Gazza
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by ShastaTx on 5/31/2017, 2:57 pm

The cost in soccer is actually less than that of baseball and hockey. I have no idea what football runs, but I know from first hand experience that baseball runs about $2,500 for the spring/summer and $800 for the fall, plus uniforms. Soccer is no more out of line than the other sports. Any of the sports are expensive nowadays if you want to play at a competitive level. You can always pay rec in any of these sports and play pretty inexpensively.

ShastaTx
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket on 5/31/2017, 3:42 pm

Is DA making pay for play concept stronger or weaker?

There is an opportunity for talented underfunded players to go to FCD DA. FCD appears to be aggressive in getting talent in their system. Players come from long distant affiliates and FCD's reputation of promoting young players has enticed and will entice talent to join up.

Are the Hunts subsidizing the FCD DA program or is it the FCD select and junior academy teams?

earbucket
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by screenwriter74 on 6/1/2017, 9:49 am

There are plenty of "good to great" players that are on scholarship with all these clubs.  The opportunities are there for everyone that would reach for them. And US Soccer is behind the rest of the world because of our win-first mentality at the cost of development--which is changing.

Last edited by screenwriter74 on 6/1/2017, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding content)

screenwriter74
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bboys on 6/1/2017, 10:02 am

Agreed with our Win First mentality in the US screenwriter. I was actually talking about college scholarships, not club scholarships. Don't let some of these parents that don't know, find out they are subsidizing another good player on the team that cannot afford to pay the fee! Shocked My point was that some parents put a lot of money into club soccer thinking that their son is getting a college scholarship only to find out that there is very little money there. You have a better opportunity with other sports thanks to Title 9 and the fact that soccer still does not bring in money. But there are coaches out there that promote how good they are at getting your kid into a college. They just leave out some details like Grades needed, SAT, ACT scores, and that the money is likely enough to cover books if your lucky. The whole system is set up to fail, because coaches and clubs are not honest and transparent with the process.

Bboys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker on 6/1/2017, 10:58 am

The system is actually quite transparent, it's just that most people don't like it and don't understand it. Many parents don't do their homework and/or have no experience with college athletics. Given this, they don't understand what is required to meet whatever goals they may have for their boy. That info is readily available, it just takes some effort to find.

Generally speaking, short of Football, Basketball, and Baseball at a D1 school, grades matter at least as much as your ability in whatever sport you're playing if you're hoping for meaningful scholarship money. Soccer is no different.

From my experience, scholarship's are available on nearly every club team for the right player where a need truly exists. And they are available on a lot of teams for the right superstar whether need exists or not.

For a truly standout boy (both on and off the pitch), I'd scholarship him personally to play on my son's team if a need truly existed and the parents were good people. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to do it, and wouldn't ask any of the other parents on the team to help out, though I'd be willing to bet that quite a few would insist on it.
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Kevin Smith

Post by dfwsoccerdad on 6/1/2017, 3:32 pm

04Soccerdad wrote:Kevin Smith?

Kevin Smith is no Silent Bob.

dfwsoccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tpitty on 6/2/2017, 2:57 pm

[quote="Bboys" This is the big reason that the US cannot compete with the rest of the world in soccer. [/quote]

The US started late, but we are catching up.

There are more youth players abroad in foreign academy systems than ever before, and the ones who stayed home are among the first generation of players to be of age to have been reared entirely in U.S. Soccer’s DA system.

U20 MNT: Quarterfinals in 2017 World Cup
U18 MNT: 2nd in Slovakia Cup as defending champions.
U17 MNT: 2nd in CONCACAF Champ. Qualified for World Cup
U15 MNT: 1st place in 2017 Torneo delle Nazioni, Went 4-1. Beating Russia, Slovenia, England and Portugal.

Just a few U20 players to keep an eye on:
Pulisic, Borussia Dortmund
GK J.T. Marcinkowski, Georgetown
RB Matt Olosunde, Manchester United
CB Cameron Carter Vickers, Tottenham
CB Tommy Redding, Orlando City
LB John Nelson, Internationals SC
CM Cam Lindley, North Carolina
CM Weston McKennie, Schalke
CM Jackson Yueill, UCLA
LW Mukwelle Akale, Villarreal
FW Emmanuel Sabbi, Las Palmas
RW Brooks Lennon, Liverpool
McKinze Gaines (Wolfsburg)
Haji Wright (Schalke)
Brandon Vazquez (Tijuana)
Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union)
Tyler Adams (RBNY)
Josh Perez (Fiorentina)
Pierra Da Silva (Orlando City B)
Luca De La Torre (Fulham)
Gedion Zelalem (Arsenal)
Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake)

Referenced from Top Drawer Soccer.
tpitty
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Amandanovoa on 6/3/2017, 7:12 am

Saints in Keller are a true Non-Profit. Great coaches lower fees. All teams are looking to add players call Amanda 904-994-4610 for more info.

Amandanovoa
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum