Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Clubs Planning for Age Pure?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubs Planning for Age Pure?

Post by frauschlager on 2/1/2016, 10:46 am

Is anyone hearing from their respective clubs any plans to address the mix of boys on various teams for next year? I know our team is tilted heavier towards '03 birthdays, and most parents I have talked to aren't anxious to play up (even to keep the team together). The club has made no indication they will try pooling boys across multiple teams (our club has several competitive '03 boys teams today) to create a new age pure '03 team(s). Due to limited '04 teams in the club that are both similarly competitive (Classic League level) and practice in our current location, the options inside the club are looking grim.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that our club hasn't come out with a plan to, 1) assess of the '03 boys, who wants to/are willing to play up, and 2) if they don't want to play up, are they interested in a new '03 age pure team that practices at the same facilities and is willing to enter a qualifying tournament. It seems like a no-brainer to start this discussion now vs. risk parents starting to look outside the club. Figuring it out earlier also allows the club to encourage extra practice and possible tournaments with this future, age pure, hypothetical team.

While not my preference, the realities of the age pure mandates mean younger boys will be forced to find an existing '04 team or participate in the qualifying tournament with a significantly retooled team if they don't want to play up. I am curious if other clubs are addressing this reality head on, or just staying quiet, biding time, and hoping parents are stuck scrambling after Classic League finishes (help us all if last year's spring rains return again this year).

frauschlager
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubs Planning for Age Pure?

Post by Soccer27 on 2/1/2016, 11:19 am

Which club are you referring? Maybe mentioning the club people might be able to give a better input

Soccer27
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ronaldnotronaldo on 2/1/2016, 4:02 pm

This seems like a GREAT opportunity for clubs to step up and have an outstanding plan for spring/summer team building. I'm a little surprised that more clubs aren't publicly outlining their intentions. However, I did see Odyssey post about looking to build/add to 2002-2003-2004 teams. I hope you (we) get some good responses to your query.

ronaldnotronaldo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ballwork on 2/1/2016, 5:03 pm

[quote="Soccer27"]Which club are you referring? Maybe mentioning the club people might be able to give a better input [/quote

As mentioned Odyssey has posted, Solar I believe is working on their plan, FCD should have their plan somewhat together. Guessing this is LFC - YNWA. They appear to have very few byes to work with.

ballwork
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Nice Ball on 2/2/2016, 11:04 am

I am interested to see how this plays out as well. I heard someone say that most teams will just play up to keep their Classic League spots. In a perfect world I suppose that would work, as long as all of the teams pretty much stay the same, however, I don't see that happening. If you have a kid that was born in early 2003 and they "play up" and quite a few other teams go age pure, I don't see it working out well for the early 03, unless they are a stud.

Nice Ball
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ronaldnotronaldo on 2/2/2016, 11:48 am

I agree with Nice Ball. In fact, it seems to me that given the physical changes boys face ages 12-13-14, being an early 03 is one of the best places to be, especially if your club has a decent 04 (current) team. I would bet that the Classic qualifying tournament later this summer will be a quagmire of elation, animosity, regret, requests for releases, and just general malaise. Probably not much different than any other year. I can't believe I'm looking forward to it.

ronaldnotronaldo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by frequent flyer on 2/3/2016, 7:50 am

My son's club is keeping teams whole and not moving them around. We had a meeting last week regarding it. I think if you have a team that plays well together and has been with each other for a long time, you have an advantage over teams that are just coming together regardless of age. The bigger clubs will take advantage of this new rule since they have tryouts and place kids wherever they want regardless of what team they were on last year. My son is an 02 November kid so he wants to stay with his current team.
frequent flyer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanofson on 2/3/2016, 8:30 am

For the most part, my June 03 son's team is going to try to stay together as best as they can. My ex wife and myself had a talk with my son and gave our input as to the pros and cons of playing up or finding an age pure team but at end of the day left the decision up to him, within about 30 minutes he had made up his mind to stay. We will see how it plays out. His team is nine 03 and seven 02s.
Fanofson
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Nice Ball on 2/3/2016, 9:39 am

Like I was saying earlier, it could work out if all teams stay together, the way they are currently constructed. If a number of teams don't it will not go over very well for the younger 03's, even if their team has been together for a while. Even if most teams stay together, I think that eventually we will see most teams go age pure, even if it is not this next soccer year.

Nice Ball
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint on 2/3/2016, 10:34 am

Nice Ball wrote:Like I was saying earlier, it could work out if all teams stay together, the way they are currently constructed.  If a number of teams don't it will not go over very well for the younger 03's, even if their team has been together for a while. Even if most teams stay together, I think that eventually we will see most teams go age pure, even if it is not this next soccer year.

I agree with you. If the younger 03 kids play up with the now Jan-Jul 02 kids that will come into the league, it will be difficult. The size difference is huge in 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th grade as kids hit growth spurts. Some kids that are very skilled and will turn out to be really good players in their older years will get frustrated because they simply can't get anything done against the bigger kids. But with DA coming in at two more age groups as well at least 65 kids will be leaving mostly D1 teams so the who knows what teams in D1 will look like next year.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ronaldnotronaldo on 2/3/2016, 10:40 am

I wonder if some clubs will tremendously benefit from the age changes, especially 03/04 because the majority will be pre-physical changes. Outside of Classic, I'd imagine that a league "Bye" isn't worth much (not that Plano or Arlington are doing it that way.) But if a club has a decent 03 team with a large number of 03 boys, and a decent 04 team also with a large number of 03 boys, if they make two teams this summer, that top team should be very good.  It seems like it may be a benefit to clubs that have the fortune of the older team being weighed heavily with younger players and the younger team being weighed heavily with older players.

ronaldnotronaldo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker on 2/3/2016, 1:16 pm

I know of a few 08SY teams that were loaded with very talented 08AP kids. As you described, those are gonna be some very strong teams in that age group.
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by winkipop77 on 2/4/2016, 11:26 am

frauschlager - if your club hasn't come out with a plan yet, then might be wise to start putting out your feelers to find clubs that do as I believe is your intent.  If you want contact info for a current 04 Boys CL D2 that practices in East Plano, give me a PM.  We have several concerned spring '03 parents like you already talking to our staff either about augmenting our existing team or perhaps forming a new team with only CL level talent.

winkipop77
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mpcls55 on 3/13/2016, 1:57 am

I fully anticipate clubs telling parents they plan to "keep the teams together". Saying the 03's will "just play up". Whether factual or not, what happens to those Fall 02 birthday boys on the smaller side when 4-6 kids defect from their clubs? The "keep team together" goes out the window. However, the contract is inked and those boys get pushed to lower level teams to make room for the bigger, faster, older 02 newbies. Money stays in the club. Seems likely from my perspective.

mpcls55
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone on 3/13/2016, 12:41 pm

We are all dealing with this in some way, and although it is a bit inconvenient, it is here... The obvious positive from the situation is that you will never need to calculate if a prospect is the right age for your team again... That being said, I think this is a pain in the ass that will produce just as many benefits as it does side effects... Like it or not, we are all being forced to re-think our clubs/teams... This the perfect opportunity to find a new team that suits the needs and goals of those strong players who are being used wrong just to get the "W" ... The team who plays long ball to their 1-2 stud players will have a much harder time defeating teams who picked up Jan-June birth month kids; the stud players size/speed advantage will be minimized... Usually players like that suffer in the long run; they do not learn to play the game the right way... For those kids this will sting, but benefit them in the long run... Now the Jan, Feb, March kids who have always had to play smarter to keep up with the bigger kids will have the advantage if they decide to play down to their true birth year... The negatives are the uncertainty and anxiety we are all dealing with, but in the long run this is a good thing... Those who do their homework will come out on top...
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 3/13/2016, 1:56 pm

Unless your BB is a phenom, you should absolutely resist the opportunity to play up. The older boys are much bigger and much faster and will guarantee your BB "Won't" get much playing time so play on a team that gives your BB the best chance at development which for most of us is birth year.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 3/14/2016, 8:11 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:Unless your BB is a phenom, you should absolutely resist the opportunity to play up. The older boys are much bigger and much faster and will guarantee your BB "Won't" get much playing time so play on a team that gives your BB the best chance at development which for most of us is birth year.

The simple fact is that anybody that sticks with their current Select team is going to get 7 months younger w.r.t. the age limits.   If your BB is a strong player on his current team, no matter Spring or Fall, IMO he will do fine with the older kids.   If he is not, then it will get even harder.   If you are a Spring player, and you don't play that much right now, then this may be the right time to do something else.

One would suspect that most folks are on their current team because it makes some sense to them.   Commute, friends, coach, whatever.    Weighed against playing against older kids.   I would think in the end, you'll get a pretty even mix of stay up and go find another team out of the Spring kids.   But maybe not.  

One might also think that a fairly high % of the Spring kids who choose to "stay up" will be the more physically mature kids.  Thus, you are a bit less likely to have your age group inundated with the older stud players.   But a lot of this whole thing seems to be dominoes.   If all of the older Spring kids move down into your age, it increases the odds that your age's Spring kids will move down.  Etc.  

w.r.t. the OP on current 03 teams, our club has at least talked to people a little bit.   I think expectation/hope is that the stronger Spring 03 BY kids will play 02BY next year.   And will try to form an 03BY team with some that don't play as much, and send that team to QT.   All dependent on getting more players to some extent.   Either older 02BY kids to fill in 02CL bye, or 03BY kids to fill in on new 03BY team.  Will see how it goes.  Every year forming teams is somewhat of a challenge.
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanofson on 3/14/2016, 8:29 am

This whole idea has been weighing on me since I first heard about it. My son being a late June 03 player and a touch on the smaller side has had periods where he shined and other periods that he was kinda just out there. I was worried about putting him out there with even bigger stronger kids. Not having many teams out in the Fort Worth/ Keller area, I was not sure what to do. Now, he has put together seven or eight incredibly strong outings in a row and where he may be behind a touch in speed he has picked up a game intelligence that he did not exhibit consistently before. When I first learned about this, my son, his mother and myself asked him about his thoughts and he wanted to stay on same team. We expressed a need for him to prove to us he could "play with the big boys". he said he would.

I am not as concerned as I once was about "playing up".
Fanofson
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone on 3/14/2016, 8:50 am

There are SO many factors that have not been decided yet, so it is going to be an unsettling experience at first, but it should all even out in time... My guess would be that teams in the top 3 of their division will lose 2-3 players and replace them with older kids... Teams who are in the middle of the pack change 3-4, and teams on the bottom are likely to see their Jan-July kids play down on a more successful younger team... Who knows, but it seems to me the successful teams will keep a higher % of their roster...
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 on 3/14/2016, 1:08 pm

The top D1 teams that keep a very high percentage of their current roster, which are usually loaded with Fall birthdays, will see their competitiveness diminish as other teams load up with Spring birthdays.

The current advantage of having older kids loaded on a roster will quickly become a disadvantage as now they are handicapped with a roster full of younger kids. To make matters worse, if the team carries over the Spring birthdays on the current roster, then a certain percentage of your players will be a full year younger. Talk about tragedy. Yikes!!
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint on 3/14/2016, 1:15 pm

finish1 wrote:The top D1 teams that keep a very high percentage of their current roster, which are usually loaded with Fall birthdays, will see their competitiveness diminish as other teams load up with Spring birthdays.

The current advantage of having older kids loaded on a roster will quickly become a disadvantage as now they are handicapped with a roster full of younger kids. To make matters worse, if the team carries over the Spring birthdays on the current roster, then a certain percentage of your players will be a full year younger. Talk about tragedy. Yikes!!

Agreed, those teams in the lead of D1 will have a hard time just keeping their roster the same and making the shift. The other teams your used to beat regularly will now have kids from January 2002-July 2002 for the current 03 teams. Teams will need to pick up those first six month of the year players or will be very difficult to stay competitive.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone on 3/14/2016, 3:28 pm

Possibly guys, but I seriously doubt it will be like that the 1st year... The results this upcoming year will be all kinds of jacked up, but most of the top teams will still stay competitive within their division in CL... The 2nd year is where we will see the biggest impact of these changes in CL... Tournaments outside this area are sure to be challenging!
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne on 3/14/2016, 7:24 pm

Fanofson wrote:This whole idea has been weighing on me since I first heard about it. My son being a late June 03 player and a touch on the smaller side has had periods where he shined and other periods that he was kinda just out there. I was worried about putting him out there with even bigger stronger kids. Not having many teams out in the Fort Worth/ Keller area, I was not sure what to do. Now, he has put together seven or eight incredibly strong outings in a row and where he may be behind a touch in speed he has picked up a game intelligence that he did not exhibit consistently before. When I first learned about this, my son, his mother and myself asked him about his thoughts and he wanted to stay on same team. We expressed a need for him to prove to us he could "play with the big boys". he said he would.

BB's in the same situation as your BB (June '02, and on the smallish side). We also asked if he wanted to play up or try out for another '02 pure team.
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by GrimReaperD on 3/14/2016, 9:21 pm

SnookumsConCarne wrote:
Fanofson wrote:This whole idea has been weighing on me since I first heard about it. My son being a late June 03 player and a touch on the smaller side has had periods where he shined and other periods that he was kinda just out there. I was worried about putting him out there with even bigger stronger kids. Not having many teams out in the Fort Worth/ Keller area, I was not sure what to do. Now, he has put together seven or eight incredibly strong outings in a row and where he may be behind a touch in speed he has picked up a game intelligence that he did not exhibit consistently before. When I first learned about this, my son, his mother and myself asked him about his thoughts and he wanted to stay on same team. We expressed a need for him to prove to us he could "play with the big boys". he said he would.

BB's in the same situation as your BB (June '02, and on the smallish side). We also asked if he wanted to play up or try out for another '02 pure team.

Is your BB on the smaller side and ConCarne as well? Not in the same boat as FanofSon as they are a full year apart, but ok. Did your Ex-Husband have the talk with the bb as well.?.?.?.?

GrimReaperD
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by frauschlager on 3/15/2016, 11:18 am

Having heard nothing specifically from the club or our current coach, I sent an email to two of the '03 coaches we have played for to determine what their plan is (assuming they have one). I have already seen some of the teams jockeying for AP '02s from other teams (my guess is planning on replacing some of their AP '03s from among stronger '02s within the club), but haven't heard anything about plans for boys who don't want to play up.

My preference, of course, is to stay with the club, practicing where we are (convenient, played there for years, know most of the '03 boys and families from years of playing with many of them on various rosters). I suspect there are enough AP '03 parents among all the current '03 teams in the club to make a potent AP '03 team, even if we had to go through the qualifying tournament, and several parents that have already expressed they will not be playing up. Unfortunately, at this point, it doesn't appear the club is invested in coordinating/communicating this for the parents. Realistically, the current coaches have little/no obligation to solve the problem for their AP '03s that don't intend to play up. As such, lack of club leadership likely means a departure of many families that have been a part of the club for years.

Since I haven't heard back from the coaches for a few days, I suspect my email is being shared around the club to determine what the right answer is/should be. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything back.

frauschlager
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum