Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

LFCA management needs to improve ASAP

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: LFCA management needs to improve ASAP

Post by winkipop77 on 11/7/2015, 9:04 pm

Thx D for sharing your experience.  It sounds like it is a good one and FCD must be doing it right.  Perhaps some of the disruption/discontent is caused by competing clubs trying to all run their own DA programs where as perhaps the mission of US Soccer would be better met if DA was limited to just one club per geographic area and if US Soccer actually operated the program instead of the club (no club affiliation).  Am I on to something?  Sure, a lot fewer kids in this area would make the cut, but those that did would have a lot better shot.  To be clear...this would be to actual reach the mission, not just take 1000's of kids on a wild ride as enjoyable as it might seem now.

winkipop77
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by davito on 11/7/2015, 9:31 pm

If the objective is for US soccer to become more competitive and produce more pro level players you need more kids having the DA type of training. As stated elsewhere on this forum the more developed nations have more kids getting lots of free coaching from pro clubs as well as a soccer culture. It takes a lot of misses to get one hit and it is not always obvious who will pan out. Plenty of early bloomers like Wayne Rooney have flamed out at 21 while others like Jamie Vardy weren't on the radar until 25.
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone on 11/7/2015, 9:54 pm

davito wrote:If the objective is for US soccer to become more competitive and produce more pro level players you need more kids having the DA type of training. As stated elsewhere on this forum the more developed nations have more kids getting lots of free coaching from pro clubs as well as a soccer culture. It takes a lot of misses to get one hit and it is not always obvious who will pan out. Plenty of early bloomers like Wayne Rooney have flamed out at 21 while others like Jamie Vardy weren't on the radar until 25.

I have to agree there Davito... Just because there are shady programs out there does not mean that we limit the # of options that are available... People have to choose for themselves... I wouldnt buy a car at certain places, but others seem flock there without question... It is sad to hear about the bad experiences out there, but I can assure you that there are very good options in this area that are not all that well known... It is rare that people post praise for smaller programs that are on the right track, but that does not mean that they do not exist... Anyhow, interesting topic that should be discussed (Thank You PLF)... -Proceed-
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by winkipop77 on 11/7/2015, 10:38 pm

Yes, agree interesting topic PLF.  It sounds like while the DA system undoubtedly causes some disruption and discontent as evidenced by remarks from parents who's BB's are actually in it, it is something that so far they have no regrets about a year or two in.  

I am curious to hear from others who may have been in from near the beginning and had a BB gain more than just "a nice memorable experience".  Any success stories to share?  It would also be interesting to hear from players themselves, either ex-professional or even full-ride D1 scholarship ones that may have not had the luxury of having the DA system available for them to pursue.  Any opinions?  I apologize for taking this thread way off track...but it seems to be a popular one.  Perhaps there are others viewing with experience other than just being merely a parent of a soccer playing BB that could add something of substance to the conversation.

winkipop77
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by davito on 11/7/2015, 10:53 pm

Soccer is a subjective game and there are politics everywhere. Some clubs will have lots of politics while others have less. And size does not guarantee quality. It is pretty sad if higher level training really is being decided by politics rather than on merit.
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by davito on 11/7/2015, 11:33 pm

We have to be savvy consumers in this pay to play market where everything is labelled ELITE, PREMIER, SUPER, DUPER.... We have to see through the marketing and hype to who is offering real value. The marketeers know that parents are willing to spend big on their kids. Leagues, clubs, coaches, everyone is trying to convince us that "they can take our kid to the next level" we just have to spend some $$$.
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone on 11/8/2015, 8:31 am

davito wrote:We have to be savvy consumers in this pay to play market where everything is labelled ELITE, PREMIER, SUPER, DUPER.... We have to see through the marketing and hype to who is offering real value. The marketeers know that parents are willing to spend big on their kids. Leagues, clubs, coaches, everyone is trying to convince us that "they can take our kid to the next level" we just have to spend some $$$.

Having made a move for my 2 boys this year, I am all too familiar with the marketing nets that are being cast out there to capture parents who just want what's best for their kids...  It is unfortunate that it usually takes a few bad experiences to convert naturally idealistic parents into skeptics, but that seems to be the norm...  When somebody tells you a story that seems too good to be true, there is a reason they have to tell you the story themselves...  Competitive soccer has become a business (plain and simple), and in this business there are "used car salesmen" EVERYWHERE!  So how do you choose who will shape the future of your most precious asset?  You remove all the tags and compare the products for what they are side by side...  Sure it feels cool to wear Guess Jeans (in the typical 1987 HS hallway), but are they better than the Levis the other kids are walking around in?  That seems to be the way that some of the big clubs get their #s...  Everybody wants to be "in style" or be affiliated with the "top" clubs when sipping wine with their piers, and that seems to make it easier for the big clubs to continually draw huge #s year after year...  Here is where it gets interesting...  There seems to be an obvious separation occurring within our 02-03 age group...  Is this going to influence enough parents to jump ship from a few of the shady clubs?  You know it is far less glamorous to say your son plays for a smaller club at the company picnic, isn't it...  And there you have it...  We can't all play for the same club, and with 50% of them being "less than honest" or highly political, this conversation will go on indefinitely...  You have to have darkness to appreciate sunlight...
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker on 11/8/2015, 9:01 am

hanallalone wrote:
davito wrote:We have to be savvy consumers in this pay to play market where everything is labelled ELITE, PREMIER, SUPER, DUPER.... We have to see through the marketing and hype to who is offering real value. The marketeers know that parents are willing to spend big on their kids. Leagues, clubs, coaches, everyone is trying to convince us that "they can take our kid to the next level" we just have to spend some $$$.

Having made a move for my 2 boys this year, I am all too familiar with the marketing nets that are being cast out there to capture parents who just want what's best for their kids...  It is unfortunate that it usually takes a few bad experiences to convert naturally idealistic parents into skeptics, but that seems to be the norm...  When somebody tells you a story that seems too good to be true, there is a reason they have to tell you the story themselves...  Competitive soccer has become a business (plain and simple), and in this business there are "used car salesmen" EVERYWHERE!  So how do you choose who will shape the future of your most precious asset?  You remove all the tags and compare the products for what they are side by side...  Sure it feels cool to wear Guess Jeans (in the typical 1987 HS hallway), but are they better than the Levis the other kids are walking around in?  That seems to be the way that some of the big clubs get their #s...  Everybody wants to be "in style" or be affiliated with the "top" clubs when sipping wine with their piers, and that seems to make it easier for the big clubs to continually draw huge #s year after year...  Here is where it gets interesting...  There seems to be an obvious separation occurring within our 02-03 age group...  Is this going to influence enough parents to jump ship from a few of the shady clubs?  You know it is far less glamorous to say your son plays for a smaller club at the company picnic, isn't it...  And there you have it...  We can't all play for the same club, and with 50% of them being "less than honest" or highly political, this conversation will go on indefinitely...  You have to have darkness to appreciate sunlight...
this is 150% on the money sir !!!! and the real kicker 99% of the time the best player/players on the team don't pay a dime Razz
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 11/8/2015, 1:37 pm

I think it works well for a big club as long as they are winning, but that is where LFCA and The Texans are putting themselves in jeopardy.

The Texans won big National Championships and have some famous Alumni (Dempsey and Gonzales), but that awesome legacy is in jeopardy when multiple age groups are not successful.  Imagine a party with your peers when someone says their BB or DD plays for a big club and someone answers back with, Isn't that the club that costs a lot but doesn't have winning teams anymore.

The Texans have to be the best or they will fade away like all the others. Andromeda was once a big club and look at them now.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by GrimReaperD on 11/8/2015, 5:39 pm

I'm not so sure I agree that the Texans have to be the best or they will fade away. With the growth of FCD and their financial backing, they will be the best at the top levels, given their ability to fund programs and scholarship kids when and if required to get what they want. But that shouldn't matter, large clubs like the Texans should still be able to develop kids, it just doesn't help when you have an ego maniac crazy person at the top. You don't have to be the best, but you have to be competitive and that can still happen. Hassan's hand is being forced and whether he likes it or not, he's having to make changes. You don't see him coaching the older academy teams, nor do you see Marcio there either, and there is good reason for that. The USSF and parents for that matter are less and less tolerant of their ways. At LP it's a different issue, the guy with the money is letting a couple people run the club that have no business doing so. Both are large clubs and with a little change can turn things around and make huge improvements.

The analogy with Andromeda unfortunately is not a good one. They were not a large club per se, in fact, that is what sunk them. They lacked a girls program and didn't have enough teams (If I remember correctly they had around 31 at the time) to support their fields and payroll, and the guy at the top refused to merge with clubs like LP that had offered to do so, yet kept relying on promised funds from an investor that never came to light. That club had the coaching and teams to fight the giants, but poor management did them in and screwed alot of people along the way.

GrimReaperD
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by winkipop77 on 11/8/2015, 7:49 pm

hanallalone wrote:

Sounds like much wisdom to share here.  Which club(s) and what specific reason(s)?  Just curious.

Also a question for everyone: If the common thinking is "you get what you pay for", or maybe more accurately "you SHOULD get what you pay for", exactly what should that look like. What is the expectation?  For example:  If you shell out $3000 plus/year in just dues and uniform, should you expect professional training 2 days per week on pristine club controlled fields and D1 level play, or should it be 3 days per week training and even higher level of play?  Is that realistic given the high costs for top level coaches, fields, league etc.  What about at $2500?  Should that get you maybe 2 days/week professional training on decent club controlled fields and maybe only D2 level play?  And then what about other tiers? $2000, $1500 etc.?  and then what about "Free", does this mean you should have no expectation?  What are the hidden costs with Free?  No field perhaps to call home?  Whats that worth?

To a casual observer like myself re: the DA level play this thread is primarily about, it seems that FCD has the best program and best funding, and the other big clubs are struggling to keep pace, or trying to offer their own alternative in the case of LP.  Is this accurate?  If so, is there such a thing as "Too big to fail" in NTX soccer?  Seems there is a major implosion every 7 years or so.  TFC was the last victim, could an LFC, Solar, or DT be next, maybe 3 or 4 years out?

winkipop77
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone on 11/8/2015, 9:28 pm

I wish I could share this "so called" wisdom without badmouthing individuals and specific clubs, but unfortunately I cannot do so with a clean conscience... I have opinions formed by specific experiences, but I am fully aware that my bad encounters may be somebody else's paradise... Now I may be biased, but I do honestly feel like my boys are a part of something very rare in terms of modern competitive soccer... Now we all get to hurdle the "age pure" bar and see how we look after the giant leap...
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GrimReaperD on 11/8/2015, 9:59 pm

winkipop77 wrote:
hanallalone wrote:

Sounds like much wisdom to share here.  Which club(s) and what specific reason(s)?  Just curious.

Also a question for everyone: If the common thinking is "you get what you pay for", or maybe more accurately "you SHOULD get what you pay for", exactly what should that look like. What is the expectation?  For example:  If you shell out $3000 plus/year in just dues and uniform, should you expect professional training 2 days per week on pristine club controlled fields and D1 level play, or should it be 3 days per week training and even higher level of play?  Is that realistic given the high costs for top level coaches, fields, league etc.  What about at $2500?  Should that get you maybe 2 days/week professional training on decent club controlled fields and maybe only D2 level play?  And then what about other tiers? $2000, $1500 etc.?  and then what about "Free", does this mean you should have no expectation?  What are the hidden costs with Free?  No field perhaps to call home?  Whats that worth?

To a casual observer like myself re: the DA level play this thread is primarily about, it seems that FCD has the best program and best funding, and the other big clubs are struggling to keep pace, or trying to offer their own alternative in the case of LP.  Is this accurate?  If so, is there such a thing as "Too big to fail" in NTX soccer?  Seems there is a major implosion every 7 years or so.  TFC was the last victim, could an LFC, Solar, or DT be next, maybe 3 or 4 years out?

6 hours of practice a week in either 3 or 4 practices, with an option for free skills at least once or twice a week. There is no magic to what they do in Europe or South America, they simply play more, whether it's training or on their own. And they keep it smaller sided until at least 13 or so.

TFC did not fail as a club, the owner did some dumb things with company money as a result of personal issues, and brought the club down with him, the rest is LP history. See a pattern here...

GrimReaperD
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 11/8/2015, 10:33 pm

GrimReaperD wrote:

6 hours of practice a week in either 3 or 4 practices, with an option for free skills at least once or twice a week.  There is no magic to what they do in Europe or South America, they simply play more, whether it's training or on their own.  And they keep it smaller sided until at least 13 or so.

TFC did not fail as a club, the owner did some dumb things with company money as a result of personal issues, and brought the club down with him, the rest is LP history.  See a pattern here...

This is what I was talking about regarding the Texans because PA trains 2 times a week and thats it. The winning reference was for PA, DA, and ECNL. Texans are not in the top tier this year because these teams are struggling with player losses. I think the prestige of their Academy teams is a carrot that has been used to recruit youth academy all the way up.

We were told that the Texans are national champions and to be a Texan you give your entire life to their system and become part of the academy when you are 13. You pay for tons of specialized training through the coaches outside of your club dues amd ultimately you get what you need to play on the top teams.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by letsgo on 11/8/2015, 11:16 pm

PremierLeagueFan wrote:
GrimReaperD wrote:

6 hours of practice a week in either 3 or 4 practices, with an option for free skills at least once or twice a week.  There is no magic to what they do in Europe or South America, they simply play more, whether it's training or on their own.  And they keep it smaller sided until at least 13 or so.

TFC did not fail as a club, the owner did some dumb things with company money as a result of personal issues, and brought the club down with him, the rest is LP history.  See a pattern here...

This is what I was talking about regarding the Texans because PA trains 2 times a week and thats it. The winning reference was for PA, DA, and ECNL. Texans are not in the top tier this year because these teams are struggling with player losses. I think the prestige of their Academy teams is a carrot that has been used to recruit youth academy all the way up.

We were told that the Texans are national champions and to be a Texan you give your entire life to their system and become part of the academy when you are 13. You pay for tons of specialized training through the coaches outside of your club dues amd ultimately you get what you need to play on the top teams.
From my point of view, this is what you have to do if your son is not good enough. Trust me, if your bb is good then he'll find loop holes in the system. He doesn't have to be in the system for all those years. If a club wants you, then they'll do whatever they can to convince you. What do they promise? I'm not sure.

In the case of Texans, they have the talent but only lack the professional team which is a big advantage for FCD. Texans currently is doing really well with their U-18's. They are sitting in 2nd place in their conference and they just beat the defending national champions last week, FCD U-18 Academy. The U-16 and U-14 aren't doing that bad as well. I want to say that they are sitting mid-table or higher. Now, let me tell you who is suffering. Solar is currently experiencing the backlash from the departure of KS. They are struggling with their DA teams. I think they are the next to either merge with someone or disappear.

letsgo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 11/9/2015, 9:21 am

KS is now in charge of the Texans U13 PA team that has lost every game so far this season. 4-0, 5-0, 3-0, 3-1, 7-0. The Texans U15 lost 3-0, 3-1, and tied 1-1. All in all this not a winning start by any stretch. The U14 DA has won 4 games, lost 4 games and tied 1 game. So there you have the future of the club and it doesn't look too promising at the moment

This team is full of Texans who were developed from youth Academy and will represent the club going forward in the 00, 01, 02 and 03 age groups. They are the cream of the crop at the Texans and have been in the top 5 since they were kids.

There are no other Texans in this age group that can beat them and they would be a top 5 CL team if they were still in CL.

Solar on the other hand has a #2 CL team in this age group, but their #1 team got knocked out of CL because the Texans kept the teams bye which prevented them from another season in CL and is the main reason why the Texans development teams are so messed up in the first place because they were thrust into the D1 firepit 1 or 2 years too early.

** When HN chose to wreck the progress of the U13 division by removing the number 1 NTX U13 team from CL he proved to all of us that he doesn't give a hoot about player or team development in NTX and that single reason should serve as a cautionary tale for anyone considering the Texans.

Solar Castro and Odyssey are the only 2 NTX U13 teams capable of competing successfully in the Dallas Cup this year.

The Texans PA team could not compete at U13 in the Dallas Cup this year, but they are still head and shoulders above all other teams in the Texans U13 pool.

Of all the Clubs deserving financial rescue I would say Solar is a great candidate and KS might have left for financial reasons or not, but I don't see much improvement so far with his coaching of Texans elite players.

In spite of what has been said about Solar they have had great successes and have sent many boys to the national teams and college and even pro teams.

I wouldn't have posted this part, but you mentioned that the Texans beat the FC Dallas USSF National Champions. FC Dallas has 13 profesional Homegrown players from their Academy and last night they won a spectacular playoff in the Western Conference Semifinals against Seattle. The FC Dallas homegrown Academy GK blocked 2 Shots back to back in the shootout for a win against Seattle after 130 minutes of intense soccer action. FC Dallas is proving that they can produce excellent players from their Academy that contribute to the pro team as soon as they get there. DTID!

So let's not forget the main discussion at hand which is directed at understanding what LFCA and the Texans are going to do to keep us supporting their clubs. No Club is too big to fail anymore and the Texans already suffered a massive loss when the original Texans down in South Texas split from the Club. TEPAL schedule has Dallas Texans and Texans SC both listed in the Table because they are separate clubs. I haven't heard much discussion about the split, but that doesn't surprise me because the Dallas Texans don't want to air out their own problems in public,  they would rather point out Solar's shortcomings instead.

Note to self.....don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house!
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker on 11/9/2015, 11:53 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:KS is now in charge of the Texans U13 PA team that has lost every game so far this season. 4-0, 5-0, 3-0, 3-1, 7-0. The Texans U15 lost 3-0, 3-1, and tied 1-1. All in all this not a winning start by any stretch. The U14 DA has won 4 games, lost 4 games and tied 1 game. So there you have the future of the club and it doesn't look too promising at the moment

This team is full of Texans who were developed from youth Academy and will represent the club going forward in the 00, 01, 02 and 03 age groups. They are the cream of the crop at the Texans and have been in the top 5 since they were kids.

There are no other Texans in this age group that can beat them and they would be a top 5 CL team if they were still in CL.

Solar on the other hand has a #2 CL team in this age group, but their #1 team got knocked out of CL because the Texans kept the teams bye which prevented them from another season in CL and is the main reason why the Texans development teams are so messed up in the first place because they were thrust into the D1 firepit 1 or 2 years too early.

** When HN chose to wreck the progress of the U13 division by removing the number 1 NTX U13 team from CL he proved to all of us that he doesn't give a hoot about player or team development in NTX and that single reason should serve as a cautionary tale for anyone considering the Texans.

Solar Castro and Odyssey are the only 2 NTX U13 teams capable of competing successfully in the Dallas Cup this year.

The Texans PA team could not compete at U13 in the Dallas Cup this year, but they are still head and shoulders above all other teams in the Texans U13 pool.

Of all the Clubs deserving financial rescue I would say Solar is a great candidate and KS might have left for financial reasons or not, but I don't see much improvement so far with his coaching of Texans elite players.

In spite of what has been said about Solar they have had great successes and have sent many boys to the national teams and college and even pro teams.

I wouldn't have posted this part, but you mentioned that the Texans beat the FC Dallas USSF National Champions. FC Dallas has 13 profesional Homegrown players from their Academy and last night they won a spectacular playoff in the Western Conference Semifinals against Seattle. The FC Dallas homegrown Academy GK blocked 2 Shots back to back in the shootout for a win against Seattle after 130 minutes of intense soccer action. FC Dallas is proving that they can produce excellent players from their Academy that contribute to the pro team as soon as they get there. DTID!

So let's not forget the main discussion at hand which is directed at understanding what LFCA and the Texans are going to do to keep us supporting their clubs. No Club is too big to fail anymore and the Texans already suffered a massive loss when the original Texans down in South Texas split from the Club. TEPAL schedule has Dallas Texans and Texans SC both listed in the Table because they are separate clubs. I haven't heard much discussion about the split, but that doesn't surprise me because the Dallas Texans don't want to air out their own problems in public,  they would rather point out Solar's shortcomings instead.

ok im waiting for soccerdadrandys input on this..........
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 11/9/2015, 12:02 pm

winkipop77 wrote:It appears my I have been misunderstood...so I will ask the question another way to parents of players in the DA system:  "What can you honestly say that your player has gained besides extra practices which top teams should be doing any way? Higher level of visibility from people who matter?"

Those people (the scouts) are going to find you BB anyway if he truly does stick out and participate in the high level tournaments. That is of course if said "scout" is any good at what they do. To be clear I am talking about top 100 in an age group in the nation....those kids certainly need no help in being discovered. But that would be like only 6 teams worth of "elite" players required, not the nearly 80 teams that US Soccer has in its DA system.  

If there were only 6 or maybe even 10 such elite DA teams per age group in the nation....then I could see it being beneficial.  Otherwise, it is a distraction and I do not think it will bear any fruit but we will see what happens in 2018, that would have given the system a good 10 years to work which the article says PLF shared says is needed.

As it is, the number of so called elite players in the DA system number closer to 1500 per age group in the nation, a number that the article (and common sense) says " A well-run club team or title-contending high school program may offer a better fit" for.  

It seems we are a little off track..I think many would agree with OP's original comment that LP's management needs to improve.  That seems to be a prominent headline.

Paragraph taken from the article:

"If you go to any academy event, you’ll see that every college coach in Division 1 will probably be sitting around the sidelines at those games,” said Brian Ainscough, head men’s coach at Northeastern and executive director of coaching for the FC Bolts Celtic academy.

The scouting calculus is hard to fault: Traveling to academy showcases makes more sense than watching one high school star take on lesser, often younger, players

For players desiring to attend a Division 1 college, make the national team, or play professionally, academy-level soccer is often the first choice. The Revolution Academy and FC Bolts Celtic recruit top local players, prioritize practice time over games, and emphasize technical skills under the careful watch of US Soccer. While competing for the Revolution Academy, players can be called up for practices with the pro team."

This is exactly what club soccer and some High School teams are selling to the parents and players within their programs and yet the fact remains that the scouts aren't looking for a diamond in the rough they are looking for a diamond in the jewelry store.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 11/9/2015, 3:04 pm

Ooops! I screwed up on the U13 loss to Rush and I sincerely apologize about that mistake because even though I am entitled to my own opinions, I am not entitled to my own facts.

The Texans actually beat Rush 3-1 and played very well against a much larger, more aggressive Texas Rush team that got beat straight up by some good Texans possession soccer. That was my first hint that there was a new sheriff in town....No More Boot and Run!

My point regarding the Texans is with the mismanagement of these players,  not their wins and losses, however I am pointing them out because of the large differential which is a sign that the team is unprepared for this level of competition.

I have a pretty good amount of insight into this particular team and they have more than enough elite players who can produce great results, but training 2 days a week is going get them nowhere as a team, especially when a lot of them needed another year of CL before they were ready for PA.

HN needs to break out the Benjamins and start training at least four days a week like all the other Academy teams or expect more of the same results.
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by davito on 11/9/2015, 3:52 pm

Speaking of facts....is it really a fact that Texans U13 really only practice twice a week? Or did you make that one up too!!!  Razz  Razz  Razz  I find it very hard to believe.
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Maradona on 11/9/2015, 4:28 pm

omega striker wrote:
PremierLeagueFan wrote:KS is now in charge of the Texans U13 PA team that has lost every game so far this season. 4-0, 5-0, 3-0, 3-1, 7-0. The Texans U15 lost 3-0, 3-1, and tied 1-1. All in all this not a winning start by any stretch. The U14 DA has won 4 games, lost 4 games and tied 1 game. So there you have the future of the club and it doesn't look too promising at the moment

ok im waiting for soccerdadrandys input on this..........

Also awaiting his response. To gain a broader perspective and according to PA/DA results, Texans have dominated FCD (U15's) for years in head to head competition. I *believe* that prior to this fall FCD had never defeated the Texans. By now Texans and FCD should have played each other twice this season, what were the results? Perhaps this will illustrate somebody's point....:-)

Maradona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by winkipop77 on 11/9/2015, 4:33 pm

"This is exactly what club soccer and some High School teams are selling to the parents and players within their programs and yet the fact remains that the scouts aren't looking for a diamond in the rough they are looking for a diamond in the jewelry store.[/quote]"

But wouldn't the Dallas Cup be considered a pretty high-end jewelry store, and won't the players on the '03 Odyssey or Solar teams competing in that tournament receive the same level of exposure as a PA player who might or might not also be playing in that same tournament, either on one of those teams (if thats possible) or on a different team.  They are all at the same dance, right?  Obviously the PA players are probably going to stick out more if they are doing 4 practices/week etc, but there is nothing stoping a normal CL player or team from practicing more than 2/week, and I suspect that many of the top ones do.  Is this correct?

winkipop77
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket on 11/9/2015, 5:12 pm

winkipop77 wrote:"This is exactly what club soccer and some High School teams are selling to the parents and players within their programs and yet the fact remains that the scouts aren't looking for a diamond in the rough they are looking for a diamond in the jewelry store.
"

winkipop77 wrote:[But wouldn't the Dallas Cup be considered a pretty high-end jewelry store, and won't the players on the '03 Odyssey or Solar teams competing in that tournament receive the same level of exposure as a PA player who might or might not also be playing in that same tournament, either on one of those teams (if thats possible) or on a different team.  They are all at the same dance, right?  Obviously the PA players are probably going to stick out more if they are doing 4 practices/week etc, but there is nothing stoping a normal CL player or team from practicing more than 2/week, and I suspect that many of the top ones do.  Is this correct?

I am not a scout so I can't confirm their point of view, but how much time do college scouts spend watching 7th and 8th graders play soccer?   Besides not knowing how attrition, growth and hormones affects a player, the college coaches can't contact a player about recruiting until after a recruit's junior year begins.  They can respond to a player, and send a boatload of camp invites, but I imagine the assistant coaches are watching freshmen, sophs and juniors at Dallas Cup and other big tournaments.  

My understanding is that majority of college scouts attend the big showcases in Florida and Indiana for Texas players.  And the big one in Florida is for U16 and U18 DA teams.

earbucket
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan on 11/9/2015, 5:19 pm

winkipop77 wrote:"This is exactly what club soccer and some High School teams are selling to the parents and players within their programs and yet the fact remains that the scouts aren't looking for a diamond in the rough they are looking for a diamond in the jewelry store.
"

But wouldn't the Dallas Cup be considered a pretty high-end jewelry store, and won't the players on the '03 Odyssey or Solar teams competing in that tournament receive the same level of exposure as a PA player who might or might not also be playing in that same tournament, either on one of those teams (if thats possible) or on a different team.  They are all at the same dance, right?  Obviously the PA players are probably going to stick out more if they are doing 4 practices/week etc, but there is nothing stoping a normal CL player or team from practicing more than 2/week, and I suspect that many of the top ones do.  Is this correct?[/quote]

The Dallas Cup is Definitely a great tournament and the scouts go there primarily to watch the Jago SuperGroup and maybe the U17's. It doesn't directly compare with an Academy showcase and you might be surprised to find out that there are many academy teams at this event.

Odyssey and Solar are both NPL PA teams. Solar (TEPAL) and Odyssey (SCPL), but Odyssey gets the additional benefit of playing in CL because HN didn't have the ability to tread on their dreams. The Cranky Irishman takes the road less traveled so his boys paved their own path to the top of the competition and continue to improve each year.

Diego (Solar) and Paddy (Odyssey) have always pushed for more training and both have a strong commitment to development which is why they have strong teams that are nationally competitive.

The jewelry reference was just meant to show that the scouts aren't really watching high school games or club games as much as the Academy games.  I presented the information because a lot of clubs without academy programs tell their players that nobody cares about the academy when in fact it appears they do. (At least from this article's perspective)
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone on 11/9/2015, 5:33 pm

It is my understanding that high school soccer is pretty much for fun (because you represent your school), but ultimately no where near as impactful as the club-academy exposure you can get... I have a daughter who has gained great interest (from D1 schools) for work @ her HS games, but as far as boys are concerned, I truly believe HS soccer is for fun and little more... The level of competition is NOTHING compared to the stuff you see at the Dallas Cup, and one can only deduct that the scouts are very much aware of that fact...
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 11/9/2015, 6:28 pm

For scouting...there are college scouts and national scouts.   I don't have any kids being scouted by anybody...but this is how it appears.  Both of them have limited resources, and both are looking for somebody else to do a lot of the legwork to trim down the initial pool of a zillion kids to something more manageable.  

The Development academy system is pretty much the only place you are going to get seen by national team scouts as a U13-U16 kid.   That is why they have the DA system.   I think.  Its the main vehicle for identification and development of the "elite" kids.   Get a pretty wide collection of kids in a system...that in theory follows your guidelines for training...review those clubs methods...and then have those clubs send you a fraction of their kids for you to see in National Training center situations.   From there, you pick out the pool for a national team.   If you don't play for a DA club, your odds of getting reviewed by a national team scout is very very very low.   You can get recommended by a DA DOC and it doesn't matter.   Which seems fine.  If you want to be seen by national teams scouts, go to a DA club.  Seems simple enough, and seems like sound logic.  Push the best kids together as much as you can.  

College scouts slightly different story, but follow the same general principal.   You coach a non-revenue sport.   You don't want to fly across the country to scout a single kid, you want to go where you can see a whole bunch of pretty good kids.   Once the system is set up to try to push the strongest kids to the DA clubs, that's where you want to be looking.  So you go to your local DA games, a few showcases (DA or otherwise), a few bigger tourneys.   And you send out feelers to DA clubs to see who they recommend.   Just look at the kids who the bigger colleges sign.   DA kids and maybe some local non-DA kids.  That's it.  As you move down the food chain of colleges you are gonna find dudes more willing (or forced) to dig deeper into things.

Seems hard to argue the "looking for a diamond in the jewelry store" statement.   DA is the jewelry store.   LP and these other little clubs are something else.   I seriously doubt that anybody that is currently playing Odyssey little kid soccer is doing it because they think its the sure path to recognition.   We play SCPL cause its more soccer with people we like, and we like soccer, and some travel is cool.   In the end, for almost everybody, this all ends up in the same place.   Your kid leaves home at 18, and hopefully he learned more than soccer at that point.  

At 7th grade you play Dallas Cup just to say you did it, and to have some homestay kids steal your flatware.
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum